(the following content courtesy Wikipedia.org is subject to gdfl licence)
This article is written like a personal reflection or essay and may require cleanup. Please help improve it by rewriting it in an encyclopedic style. (April 2009)
This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding reliable references (ideally, using inline citations). Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (April 2009)
Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc.
Ex Fide Ad Veritatem
Motto in English:
From Faith to Truth
Ma. Iris A. Melliza, Ed.D.
Davao City, Philippines
Sta. Ana Avenue (Graduate School and Baccalaureate Degrees)
SOS Bajada(elementary and high school)
The Holy Cross of Davao College (HCDC) is a private Catholic college institution founded by the Religious of the Virgin Mary Sisters in 1951 and maintained by the Foreign Mission Society of Quebec (PME Fathers)in 1956. A turn over of adminstration took place in 1978 which cut off the school's umbilical cord from its founders and passed it on the apostolate of education to the Archdiocese of Davao. It is located in Southern Mindanao, Philippines. It is divided into three units including the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Engineering and Technology and the College of Business. It also runs grade school and high school units. It has three campuses, the Main Campus at Sta. Ana Avenue (which houses the Undergraduate, Graduate and Technical and Vocational Courses) and the JP. Laurel Avenue Campus (elementary and high school) - all located in the center of Silicon Gulf, Davao City, the de facto business, trade, commerce and education capital of Mindanao. The other one is located at Camudmud, Babak Island, Island Garden City of Samal, which caters undergraduate programs only.
The Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. is a Filipino, Catholic, archdiocesan, educational institution founded by the Religious of the Virgin Mary Sisters and run by the Archdiocese of Davao.
In school year 1951-1952, the Religious of the Virgin Mary Sisters opened an annex of the Immaculate Conception College (now known as the University of the Immaculate Conception) at Sta. Ana Avenue, Davao City. The annex was built upon the request of parents living at Sta. Ana District, and with permission from the local bishop since the school building was erected on a land owned by the Roman Catholic Apostolic Administrator of Davao. The ICC annex provided kindergarten, elementary, and secondary courses for boys and girls, but by school year 1955-1956, it became a separate school and was named the “Holy Cross Academy of Davao.”
In April 1956, the RVM Sisters informed the Most Reverend Clovis Thibault, PME, the first Apostolic Administrator and Bishop of Davao, about the RVM General Council’s decision to transfer the ownership of the school. This decision was executed through a Deed of Absolute Sale in which the RVM Congregation, represented by Superior General Mother Maria Catalina Dychitan, sold the school building including “all that goes with the functioning of a school” to the Roman Catholic Apostolic Administrator of Davao.
Bishop Thibault then asked the Foreign Mission Society of Quebec ( PME Fathers ) to maintain “Holy Cross Academy of Davao” and to establish an exclusive school for boys. A land lease agreement was subsequently made between PME Regional Superior, Rev. Fr. Lionel Labelle and Bishop Clovis Thibault had asked the PME Fathers to establish a technical and industrial school.
The PME Fathers took over the school management in 1956-1957, with Rev. Fr. Jean Lalonde as the first school director and Rev. Fr. Leopold Charlesbois as assistant school director. The school was renamed “Holy Cross of Davao School, Inc.” When Fr. Lalonde left in 1959, Fr. Eloi Montambault, PME was appointed school director until Fr. Lalonde’s return in 1961. Fr. Lalonde served as school director until 1968.
In school year 1964-1965, the school allowed the admission of girls to the elementary department. College courses were offered in school year 1966-1967, and the school was renamed “Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc.”
In 1968, Rev. Fr. Generoso C. Camiña ( the first Filipino PME and presently Bishop of Digos) was appointed Rector. He was succeeded by Mr. Emilio P. Palma Gil who was appointed school president on July 1, 1969.
Due to the lack of Filipino personnel needed to operate the school, the PME Fathers decided to transfer the ownership of school buildings, including the CYO gymnasium, its furniture and equipment, and all the rights and privileges of operating a school, to the Roman Catholic Bishop of Davao. On July 10, 1976, a Canonical Deed of Donation was made between PME Regional Superior Rev. Fr. Roland Denies and Archbishop Antonio Ll. Mabutas, DD, J.C.D..
Date of Recognition
Bachelor of Arts
July 7, 1969
Bachelor of Secondary Education
July 7, 1969
Bachelor of Science in Commerce
July 7, 1969
Bachelor of Elementary Education
June 17, 1985
Bachelor of Science in Custom Administration
June 17, 1985
Bachelor of Science in Accountancy
Certificate in Marine Transportation
January 16, 1998
Certificate in Associate in Marine Transportation
January 16, 1998
Bachelor of Science in Marine Transportation
January 16, 1998
Bachelor of Science in Psychology
(Acknowledged/Noted revised curriculum from AB Major in Psychology)
Bachelor of Science in Library and Information Science
(Acknowledged/Noted revised curriculum from AB and BSED major in Library Science)
10-month Seafarers Rating Course - Stewarding
June 14, 2000
Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Electronics and
Feb. 5, 2003
Bachelor of Social Work
Feb 21, 2003
Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
Bachelor of Science in Accounting Technology
In 1984, the grade school department, officially named “Professor Hermann Gmeiner School”, found a new campus site at Bajada, Davao City. The grade school building and facilities were constructed and offered for the school’s perpetual use by SOS Kinderdorf International. On January 18, 1985, Archbishop Antonio Ll. Mabutas inaugurated the new campus and blessed its occupants, in the presence of Prof. Hermann Gmeiner, founder of SOS Kinderdorf International. In August 29 of the same year, Mr. Helmut Kutin, President Of SOS Kinderdorf International, presented the speech laboratory, audio visual center, and sports center as additional facilities for the grade school department. The Professor Hermann Gmeiner School at Bajada Campus with its school buildings and modern facilities is a strong manifestation of the cooperative effort between Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. and SOS Kinderdorf International in their common desire to give the best to the young pupils, particularly the SOS children-beneficiaries.
For many years, the high school department continued to be an exclusive school for boys. But, in school year 1985-1986, due to the persistent request of parents whose daughters were not allowed admission to the high school department, the school administration was finally convinced to change this policy and allowed the admission of female high school students.
Over the years, the school has become a dynamic academic community, primarily because of the PME Fathers. As a sign of gratitude, the school paid tribute to the PME Fathers and its 50 years of mission work in Davao provinces and in Mindanao. A two-hour theater documentary “Ang Misyonaryo: Bulawanong Tigpupugas” was presented to the people of Davao on November 30, December 10, 11 and 12, 1987 at the HCDC Gymnasium. To this day, the Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. shares the PME motto: For us to live is to evangelize”, by participating in building basic ecclesial communities and by being a center of Catholic formation specially for the poor.
Since its foundation in 1951, the school had served thousands of students not only from Davao but from neighboring provinces and islands as well. Cognizant of the needs of those who wants to pursue graduate studies, the school opened the graduate school department. It was granted a government permit to operate masteral programs in education and economics on February 8, 1994.
The Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. became one of the leading educational institutions in the City of Davao, also because of the unselfish work of a man who, for 25 years, guided the development of the institution. Mr. Emilio P. Palma Gil, a certified public accountant, ably handled the fiscal management of the school, as he continued the vision of the PME Fathers: to provide quality education especially to students from poor families. He was elevated to the Knighthood of St. Sylvester I by Pope Paul VI and solemnly invested by Archbishop Antonio Ll. Mabutas on May 24, 1978. He held the distinction of being the first layperson to head a catholic school. On May 31, 1994, Mr.Palma Gil retired as school president but he continues to share his management expertise as a member of the board of trustees.
“I will conserve your gains as I break new grounds to respond to the present needs” - these were the words of Ma. Iris A. Melliza, Ed.D., the second school president of Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc., during the installation ceremonies on September 14, 1994. Dr. Melliza who has had long years of experience as an accreditor is surely helpful in breaking a new ground of growth for the institution.
It has long been the desire of the institution to be accredited by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU). Significant accreditation-related work started in school year 1986-1987 when the school wrote its Vision-Mission Statement. In the later years, the college department continued the painstaking accreditation work that culminated on April 25, 1995, when PAASCU granted the liberal arts and education programs a level II for 3 years. In 1998, a five-year re-accreditation status was granted. Much to the delight of the Holy Cross of Davao College community, the Commerce program gained Level I accreditation in 1999 and after a year was granted Level II accreditation for a period of 3 years. School year 2003-2004 would therefore be a busy year since Liberal Arts, Education and Commerce are scheduled for PAASCU revisit.
After much work, Holy Cross of Davao College-Maritime Education Program (HCDC-MEP) was among the 35 Maritime Educational Institutions certified to have fully complied with Commission on Higher Education (CHED) - Seafarer's Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) '95 Standards as per CHED Memorandum Order (CMO) No. 08, Series of 2001. Among its many requirements is the certification of an international certifying body for having complied with the Quality Standards System (QSS) per regulation 1/8 of the STCW '95. Since 1999, Holy Cross of Davao College has been internationally accredited by Det Norske Veritas (DNV) and by International Organization for Standardisation (ISO) 9001:2000 subject to annual periodic audit. For SY 2004-2005, HCDC-MEP is granted Level 1 accreditation by the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA).
Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. has demonstrated that it can meet the demands of an increasing student population and new academic programs through the expansion and improvement of its physical facilities. At the main campus, a five-storey building named after Prof. Hermann Gmeiner was built in 1989. On February 6, 1996, Monsignor Mabutas blessed a new four-storey Archbishop Mabutas Hall which was constructed alongside a renovated four-storey Archbishop Thibault Hall. A new chapel was built in honor of the PME Fathers and was blessed on October 8, 1996. The school also acquired a 5-hectare shoreline property at Camudmud, Babak, Garden City of Samal, specifically for the requirements of the marine transportation programs. However, it can also be used for recollections, seminars and other school-related activities.
The year 1996 was a year of thanksgiving and celebration. The Archdiocese of Davao commemorated its 25th anniversary and Archbishop Antonio Ll. Mabutas celebrated his golden jubilee as priest and 35th year as bishop. On November 28, 1996, Most Rev. Fernando R. Capalla, DD was installed as Archbishop of Davao. He is presently the chairman of the HCDC, Inc. BOT.
To answer the needs of the growing population of Holy Cross of Davao College, the 4-storey Palma Gil building was constructed in 1997 and was finished in 1998. In the 4th floor, the Social Work Office, Home Economics, four classrooms and another science lecture room are housed. The expanded College Library and the High School Library are located in the 3rd floor. The 2nd floor is occupied by high school students during the day and by college students in the evening. The ground floor is a spacious student lounge.
In SY 1998-1999, AB major in Psychology was converted into BS Psychology. The program produced its first batch of graduates in SY 2001-2002. In SY 2000-2001, AB and BSED major in Library Science became BS in Library and Information Science (BSLIS). A permit to open BS Social Work was granted in SY 2000-2001 and was duly recognized on February 21, 2003.
The yearlong celebration of HCDC Golden Jubilee with the theme "HCDC Journeying into the 21st Century: Synthesis of Faith and Life" culminated in September 2001 with the cultural presentation " Ang Kahoy: Iyang Mga Bunga sa Gugma."
The rapid growth in electronics and computer technology prompted Holy Cross of Davao College to open BS in Electronics and Communication Engineering (BSECE) and BS in Computer Engineeting (BSCoE). After a meticulous CHED visit, a permit to operate was granted effective June 2003.
With the growing polulation and the opening of new progrmas, the BOT approved the construction of a 4-storey building and the replacement of the old CYO Gym. Thus on October 15, 2001, the gym was demolished. The construction of the 4-storey building now known as the Capalla Hall began on January 15, 2002. The Capalla Hall was blessed and inaugurated on June 15, 2002 in time for the opening of classes of the first semester of SY 2002-2003. From the estimated budget of P65 million, the actual cost stretched to P84.2 million with some minor parts in the gym unfinished. The two-floor classroom at the right and left wings of the new gym were ready for use in the second semester SY 2002-2003. The first college graduation held in the new gym was on October 26, 2002. The new gym, classrooms and offices were blessed on February 13, 2003 during the Educator's Day celebration.
To keep its facilities updated, renovations were made in SY 2002-2003. In the third floor of the Thibault Hall is the spacious and equipped air-conditioned college faculty room which was blessed on February 6, 2003. Other offices in the hall are: ReEd office, Commerece Laboratory, 4 College Computer Aided Instruction (CAI) rooms and the graduate school library. In the second floor are the Masscom Center, the high school registrar's office, campus ministry and high school AVR as well as the conference room. On the ground floor are the bookstore and the chaplain's office beside the testing room of the guidance office. Since conservation of cultural heritage is one the roles of the college, a museum is provided at the ground floor of the Mabutas Hall. Four (4) classrooms in the 3rd floor of the Mabutas Hall are used by high school student during the day and by college students in the evening.
The Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. will continue to be a center of Catholic formation for young men and women as it lives out the commitment of its founders: the RVM Sisters, PME Fathers and the Archdiocese of Davao.
The Catholic Philosophy of Education
The Holy Cross of Davao College believes in the Catholic Philosophy of life which recognizes that every human being has an eternal destiny as well as earthly existence and that education is a preparation for life here and thereafter. All pupils, students and personnel of this institution are expected to adhere to the Christian philosophy of life explained by the Catholic Church.
Visions and Mission
The PME Fathers’ Vision.
The PME Fathers through Rev. Fr. Lionel Labelle (PME Regional Superior 1953-1958) envisioned “a school that satisfies the intellectual curiosity of all who thirst for the best and noblest in life; a school that is not exclusive for any special class in our society; an institution that shall not only be a repository of information but center of formation and that the satisfaction of one’s intellectual craving is coupled with a recognition of Him who is the way, the truth and the life; a school where training is not only confined to the arctic region of intellectual activity but also to daily involvement especially at the parish level.”
The Archdiocese of Davao Vision-Mission
In a society...
distressed by widespread and dehumanizing poverty,
oppressed by socio-political injustices,
confronted by moral and cultural decadence and religious mediocrity,
A Community of Disciples of Jesus Christ in the Archdiocese of Davao, afire with Holy Spirit; mature in faith; witness Love, Truth, Freedom, Justice and Peace; In joyful communication with God; in solidarity with all peoples; and in harmony with Creation.
Journeying with Jesus, Our Savior and Liberator,
WE COMMIT ourselves...
to radical conversion nurtured by His Word, His Eucharist and other sacraments;
to an integrity of life inspired by Mary, the Model Disciple;
to a participative Church of the Poor;
to a renewed integral evangelization for the families, the youth, the GKKs, and other communities towards the transformation of the society that is "maka Dios", "makatao", "makabuhay" and "makabayan" and
to a restoration of Filipino cultures, more especially the Lumads' and of respect for the dignity of Gods Creation.
HCDC Vision-Mission Statement
The Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. is a Filipino, Catholic, archdiocesan, educational institution. It aspires to form a community of totally-liberated persons enriched by Filipino heritage, diverse cultures and catholic teachings, and who will be living witnesses of Jesus Christ through dynamic service to all communities in faith, truth, justice, peace and love.
This being the Vision, the college declares its mission to form well-integrated persons by providing catholic education to all, specially the less fortunate.
Through close interaction and harmonious relationship among the members of the school community, the Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. is committed to build a Christian environment for the development of:
Persons who live Christ-like life and who are conscious of their preciousness, dignity and potentials; Filipinos who value, enhance and impart Filipino socio-cultural and spiritual heritage; Leaders who are effective agents of change and who reach out to others.
Through this Mission, the Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. participates in the formation of the home, the Archdiocese of Davao, the Nation and the Church.
The School Seal
Coat of Arms, divided into four parts, with the following figures:
Cross and Eucharist - left side
Coconut Tree - upper right
Three Stars - between the Cross and the Coconut Tree
Greek letters Alpha and Omega - bottom right
Outer Circle: the following words arranged in circular form,
HOLY CROSS OF DAVAO COLLEGE, INC. * DAVAO CITY *
1951 - foundation year written below the Coat of Arms
INTERPRETATION OF SYMBOLS AND COLORS:
The Cross and Eucharist is the emblem of all Holy Crossians.
The Coconut Tree is the chief agricultural product of Davao and its provinces. As a tree of life, it symbolizes strength, flexibility and openness of the school towards change in its desire to be of service to its clientele and the external community.
As in the Philippine flag, the three stars symbolizes Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. They represent the Holy Crossian's nationalism and love of country.
The Greek letters, Alpha and Omega, signify that God, the Creator, is the origin, the sustainer and the end of all things, not only in time and space but in other dimensions and aspects, as well. It refers to Christ: "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."
External to the Coat of Arms but within the inner circle are the sky blue background, symbolizing Mary, the Mother of God, and the year "1951," the year when the Religious of the Virgin Mary founded the school.
The symbols in the inner circle and words in the outer circle are outlined or printed in red and white background. The red and white colors symbolize Christ's suffering, triumph and glory on the cross.
School Motto: "EX FIDE AD VERITATEM" which means "from faith to truth"
College of Arts and Sciences
Bachelor of Arts (AB)
Bachelor of Secondary Education (BSEd)
Bachelor of Elementary Education (BEEd)
Bachelor of Science in Criminology (BSCrim)
Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS)
Bachelor of Science in Marine Technology (BSMT)
Bachelor of Science in Psychology (BSPsych)
Bachelor of Science in Social Work (BSSW)
College of Business
Bachelor of Science in Accountancy (BSA)
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA)
Bachelor of Science in Customs Administration (BSCA)
Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management (BSHRM)
Bachelor of Science in Acoounting Technology (BSAcT)
College of Engineering and Technology
Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (BSCpE)
Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communication Engineering (BSECE)
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT)
Technical and Vocational Courses
Master of Art in Education
Master of Art in Theology
Master of Science in Economics
Master of Management major in Business Management
Master of Science in Commerce major in Marketing
Publications and Newsletters
Ang Budyong (Development Magazine)
Handuraw (Literary Folio)
Administration and Alumni Publication
Checked (Education Program)
Masterpiece (AB Program)
The Caveat Emptor (College of Business)
The Exponent (College of Engineering and Technology)
MCIP Online (Mass Communication Internship Program)
Campus Student Organization
These are some of the notable organizations recognized by the Campus Clubs Organization and the Office of Student Affairs:
CFC - Youth For Christ
College of Engineering and Technology Student Organization (CETSO)
Commentators and Lectors Club
Commision on Election
Cross Marketing Club (CrossMarc)
Crossian Pathways Youth Organization
Education Student Council (EDUSCO)
Guild of English Major Students (GEMS)
HCDC - Debating Club
HCDC - Fitness Club
HCDC - Red Cross
Hukbong Komunikasyon (HUKKOM)
Ignatian Institute of Religious Education
Information Technology Society (Infociety)
Junior Council of Management (JCOM)
Junior Earth's Saver (JES)
Junior People Management Association of the Philippines (JPMAP)
Junior Philippine Association of Management Accountants (JPAMA)