The Technological University of the Philippines (TUP) is a state university comprising four campuses: TUP-Manila (Main), TUP-Taguig, TUP-Cavite, and TUP-Visayas. The University also has a specialized unit which is the Integrated Research and Training Center.
The TUP System
The Technological University of the Philippines (TUP) was established upon the enactment of Organic Act No. 74 by the Philippine Commission in 1901. It was known then as the Manila Trade School (MTS) with the primary intention of developing the dignity of labor. In 1910, MTS was renamed as the Philippine School of Arts and Trades (PSAT). Pursuant to Republic Act 2237 issued on July 17, 1959, PSAT was given the college status and was renamed the Philippine College of Arts and Trades (PCAT). From 1959 to 1978, PCAT pioneered programs in engineering technology and industrial teacher education. By virtue of Presidential Decree No. 1518 issued on July 11, 1978, PCAT was converted into the Technological University of the Philippines.
Currently, TUP is a system comprising four campuses. The main campus of the University is located in Manila. The three satellite campuses are in Taguig, Cavite, and Visayas. In addition to the four campuses, TUP maintains the Integrated Research and Training Center (IRTC) located in the main campus. The Center was established by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) through a Technical Cooperation in 1982.
The TUP in Manila is the nucleus of the University. The campus is located along Ayala Boulevard corner San Marcelino St., Ermita, Manila. Currently, the main campus has six colleges, namely: College of Engineering (COE), College of Industrial Technology (CIT), College of Architecture and Fine Arts (CAFA), College of Industrial Education (CIE), College of Science (COS), and College of Liberal Arts (CLA).
The TUP Cavite campus is located in Barangay Salawag, Dasmariñas, Cavite. The campus was established through Board Resolution No. 1985, s. 1979. The Cavite campus was established with the primary aim of training technicians and skilled workers for gainful employment and income generation particularly in the CALABARZON area. At present, the campus’ academic offerings are focused on 3-year technology courses and bachelor’s and masters degree programs.
The TUP Taguig campus was established in 1977 as one of the three prototype technician institutes in the Philippines. On January 3, 1985, the BOR passed and adopted Resolution No. 100 s. 1985 changing the name of the Manila Technician Institute to TUP Taguig campus. The campus is located at Km. 14 East Service Road, South Super Highway, Taguig, Metro Manila. At present, TUP Taguig offers programs in pre-baccalaureate, baccalaureate, and masters level.
The intervention of the University in TUP Visayas campus started with the Letter of Instruction (LOI) No. 79 issued by President Ferdinand E. Marcos on December 28, 1978 authorizing TUP to administer the operation of then Visayas Technician Institute. In 1985, pursuant to TUP Implementing Order No. 85-15, the Visayas Technician Institute was renamed the TUP Visayas campus. TUP Visayas is situated in Talisay City, Negros Occidental with two branches located in Sagay City and Cadiz City. The academic offerings of TUP Visayas campus are in the 3-year technology courses, bachelor’s degree, and masters degree in Technology.
As an institution of higher learning, TUP is a recipient of national and international awards. The year 1999 marks the recognition of TUP as a Center of Excellence in the ASEAN Economic Ministers - Ministry of International Trade and Industry, Economic and Industrial Committee (AIMEICC) Working Group on Human Resource Development. This was certified by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), Center for Industrial Competitiveness - National Industrial Manpower Training Council. In the same year, the University was awarded as a Center of Development (COD) by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) in Electrical Engineering (Category 2), Mechanical Engineering (Category 1), and Civil Engineering (Category 1). In June 2002, the Colombo Plan Staff College for Technician Education (CSPC) presented a plaque of recognition to TUP as a Center of Excellence in Graduate Fellowship Programme for Technological, Technical, Industrial and Vocational Education. Moreover, the Association of Overseas Technical Scholarship (AOTS) based in Japan awarded TUP as a Center of Excellence.
The mission of TUP is stated in Section 2 of P.D. No. 1518 as follows:
“The University shall provide higher and advanced vocational, technical, industrial, technological and professional education and training in industries and technology, and in practical arts leading to certificates, diplomas and degrees. It shall provide progressive leadership in applied research, developmental studies in technical, industrial, and technological fields and production using indigenous materials; effect technology transfer in the countryside; and assist in the development of small-and-medium scale industries in identified growth centers.”
Under the present leadership, Dr. Godofredo E. Gallega envisions the Technological University of the Philippines as a Center of Excellence in technological and industrial education in the country and in the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN). Being a national university for science and technology, TUP shall endeavor to develop citizen-workers who will be skillful, innovative, competent, knowledgeable, and morally upright, and competitive here and abroad.